Thursday 5 November 2009

Crazy Kanji Games



Good news, I learned the meanings of about 100 kanji yesterday.  I found this crazy RPG.  You basically fight enemies (blobs of slime!?) who attack with kanji, then you attack with english.  Inexplicably, the slime carries cash!  So when you win you can buy stuff.  It's a standard 'rescue the princess' story, and for the full version you pay $20, but I've been doing fairly well so far, free.  You get through 2000 kanji and the other kana in the full version.  Only trouble is I can't use the '-key, so I keep getting stuck.  It's called slime forest - the premise is crazy, but I've been learning fast! lrnj.com.



There is an equally mad free game featuring Knuckles, of Sega fame (unendorsed).  The battles are less engaging, but I'm told the gameplay is better.  I still think the book I mentioned before was best for Hiragana, I'm going to be getting the Katakana one too, plus the Kanji one.

One useful feature of this game is that you can customise the word/kanji lists.  I'm planning to import the Edexcel Japanese Kanji list later.
Find the game here.

I've made a set of Katakana flashcards too (to go with the Hiragana set we've already made).

If I can learn the words now I think I might do ok.

No comments:

Post a Comment